Year Inducted: 2022 (p)
Nominated By: Walt Hime (son)
Sports Competed In: Baseball, Basketball
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach, Contributor
Before High School:
Attended Risley Middle School.
Risley Middle School:
● Gold Medal Champs in basketball in 1949 (Armory Gym - State Fairgrounds).
● Selected to the North Side All-Star Team at 2nd Base and pitcher playing Old Timers Baseball (1949-50).
● Baseball coach was Ed smith (1949-50) and John Griffin (1951).
● Finished runner-up MVP baseball race to Joe Puleo (1951).
● Won 50-yard dash, 2nd place in long jump, and shot put at the City Meet (1950).
Attended Pueblo Centennial H.S., graduating in 1955.
● Played four years of basketball at guard (1951-55) and two years of baseball in the infield (1953-54).
● Helped beat Central for City Tournament Championship in 1951.
● Under head coach Walt Clay in 1954, the team won the South-Central League (S-CL) and went to the state tournament.
● Selected to the S-CL All-Conference Team in 1955.
● Scored double figures (scored 20 points vs. La Junta and 19 points vs. Grand Junction).
● Recorded a batting average of .333 on the Bulldogs baseball team (1954).
Attended Pueblo Junior College (PJC) for two years (1956-57) before transferring the Western State College (WSC) in Gunnison, CO, for the 1958-59 school year.
Played baseball (infield and outfield), coached by Harry Simmons (1956) and Joe Torpe (1957). Led by pitcher Ford Young who signed with Dodgers.
● Used as a 6th man and started several games in 1957.
● Member of the 1956 and 1957 NJCAA National Tournament Basketball teams that inducted as a group into the CSU-Pueblo Athletics Hall of Fame on Nov. 2, 2012.
● After breaking ground with a 24-7 season in 1956, the 31-7 1957 squad finished within a hair of the national title game, a loss to San Angelo (Tex.) College keeping the squad from a championship.
● Led by coach Simmons, the team won Empire Conference (1956-57).
● Finished 6th Place in Nationals in 1956 (led by Gene Poston).
● Finished 3rd Place in Nationals in 1957.
Made All-Tournament team at Buena Vista Invitational (1959).
Coached Freshman football and basketball at Freed Junior High School.
● City Football Champions (1965).
● City Tournament Champions - basketball (1971).
● Players Coached: Nino Giarratano, Jeff Kurtz, Jerry Sisneros, Rich Pike, Rich Purcell.
Served in the U.S. Army and Army Reserve.
● Pueblo Education Association
● Colorado Education Association
● National Education Association (lifetime member)
● Pueblo Coaches Association (formed in 1960)
● Played in the City Basketball League (1961-1964).
● Made All-Tournament Team playing with the Knights of Columbus in the Greater Pueblo Tournament (1961).
● Physical Education teacher and coach at Freed Junior High for 33 years.
● Served his church community as a lay leader.
"Dick Hime has the whole package. He was a good athlete, a successful coach and a positive contributor to the Pueblo sports scene".
-- Dewie Thornton
Lived in Pueblo for 83 years with his wife Shirley... Passed away Dec. 12, 2021.