Year Inducted: 2001
Nominated By: Fred Pechek
Sports Competed In: N/A
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach
Attended Pueblo Catholic H.S... Played football for two seasons at quarterback (1955-56).......Also played basketball (guard) and two years (1956-57) of baseball (2nd base)...On the basketball team was was the first man off the bench (6th man).
● Two-time selection to the All Conference Parochial League and All State in 1956.
● Helped the baseball squad to the the conference championship his senior year with a batting average of .296 (earned him selection to the All Conference Parochial League team)
● Giarratano led the team to the 1956 State Parochial Champs beating Regis 13-12, throwing for a touchdown and running for another.
Went to Pueblo Junior College for two years and spent one year at Adams State College.
● Started his coaching career at Regis H.S. as an assistant coach for the Football, Basketball, Track teams (1964-67).
● He worked the following three years (1967-70) as the head coach of the football squad and an Assistant to the basketball and track teams.
● Came to Pueblo for a two years to be the head coach of the football and track teams at Roncalli H.S. (1970-71).
● Moved to Lamar H.S. for the next two years (1971-72) to be the head coach of the football and track teams with the Savages.
● Worked as an assistant basketball coach at Lamar for a season (1972).
● Moved back to Denver in 1972 and was hired as the head football coach and assistant track coach for three years (until 1975).
● Returned to Regis H.S. to take over the football program for 14 seasons (1975-89) then closed out his coaching career at Mullen H.S. as an assistant football and track coach (1989-94).
Became the Dean of Students in charge of discipline and attendance a position he has held since 1994.
Teacher and Coach
Lives in Golden, Colorado with his wife, Carolyn.