Year Inducted: 1991
Nominated By: Jim Blanc
Sports Competed In: Football, Wrestling
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Coach
Before High School:
Played three years (1947-49) of Old Timers Baseball...While attending Keating Junior High, played on the basketball team for two years (1948-49) and helped his team to an undefeated 18-0 record.
Attended Pueblo Central H.S., graduating in 1954...Ray was a member of both the Wildcats football and wrestling teams (1949-53).
● Three-time selection to the All-Conference football team, twice selected to the All-State squad and was a member of the Wildcats two South Central League (SCL) championships.
● During senior year, earned All-American Honorable Mention and named the "Demolay Outstanding Player" in Centennial/Central game...team finished the season runner-up in the SCL.
● Posted a career wrestling record of 40-6 and went to the state wrestling tournament three of four years.
● Recorded a mark of 10-4 as a sophomore wrestling at 165 lbs.
● Wrestling at 175 lbs as both a junior and senior, won 15 of 16 matches, placing fifth at state his junior year and third during his senior season.
Went to Pueblo Junior College for two years (1956-57) where he was a two-time All-Conference selection on the football as a guard/linebacker...Transferred to Denver University for his final two years (1957-58) and played guard on the Pioneers football team and wrestled as a heavyweight at 175 lbs., before graduating.
Pusedu was an assistant football coach for two years (1964-65) in the Father Powers Football League.
1978-91: Appointed to Runyon Field Directors.
1978: Start Local Semi-pro baseball team - Collegians.
1979: State Baseball Tournament at Runyon Field.
1979: Start Joe Andenucio Baseball Tournament.
1980: Start the Hank Pachek Tournament.
1980: Built the Field #2 Baseball Diamond.
1981: Instrumental in starting the Italian Open Golf Tournament at City Park - became known as "The Italian Invitational Golf Tournament" in 1987.
1982: Built the Bambino Baseball Field.
1987: Elected President of Runyon Field Directors.
1987: Removed old grandstand.
1988: Built new grandstand.
1988: Built new restrooms and offices.
1988: Remodeled concession area.
1988: Brought the Denver Zephyrs to Pueblo.
1988: Brought the 2A State Baseball Tournament to Pueblo.
1988: Revised the parking lot area.
1988: Held the 2A State Baseball Tournament to Pueblo.
1990: Built new cover over the grandstand.
1990: Built new press box.
1990: Held the 2A State Baseball Tournament to Pueblo.
1991: Brought back State Baseball to Pueblo (3A, 4A, 5A, 6A).
● During the 13 years tenure on Runyon field Board of Directors, approximately 7,500 youngsters have benefited from the time and work devoted to Runyon Field.
● During the 10 years of the Italian Invitational Golf Tournament, over approximately 3,000 golfers have participated.
● With his work, time, money and efforts, all of the above have been made possible.
Lived in Pueblo with his wife, Shirley...Passed away, Feb. 22, 2020.