Year Inducted: 2022 (p)
Nominated By: Ron DeLeon (colleague)
Sports Competed In: Rodeo
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete
Before High School:
Attended Elementary Grades 1-8 at Pinon School.
Attended Pueblo County H.S., and was a member of their first-ever graduating class.
Held the title of Queen of the Hornet's Rodeo Club.
Attended Pueblo Junior College for two years (1959-61) and graduated with an AA degree...Continued her education at Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, CO, the following two years (1962-64).
Member of the Intercollegiate Rodeo Club.
● Learned to ride a horse at age eight, rounding up cattle and was deemed "that girl was born in the saddle".
● Started in rodeo at age 12.
● Excelled in barrel racing, goat tying, pole bending, and pairs (described as two competitors riding the same-colored horses, dressed identical, and competing in walk, trot and canter).
● Accomplished trick rider under the professional training of Dick Hammond.
● Little Britches Rodeo Queen (1958).
● Girl of the West- Pikes Peak Rodeo Queen (1958).
● Rodeo Queen of the Denver Western Stock Show (1961).
● Won the title of Miss Rodeo Colorado (Summer, 1961)
● Won the title of Miss Rodeo America in Las Vegas, NV (Dec. 1961).
● Named All-Around Champion Cowgirl at Colorado State University (1964).
During one-year reign as Miss Rodeo America, traveled 45,000 miles and appeared in 16 states as a role model for the sport of women's rodeo.
● Member of the Southern Colorado Horseman's Association.
● Member of the Pueblo Calf Roping Club.
● Member of the Pinon Horseman's Club.
Lived in Sunland, CA (a suburb of Los Angeles)...Married Jerry Gatlin...Had two children, Maria Jo and Wade Joe...Passed away from cancer in July, 1995.