Year Inducted: 1983
Nominated By: Brian Macartney
Sports Competed In: N/A
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach
Attended Pueblo Centennial H.S., graduating in 1947.
● Member of the girls rifle team, under the director of Ethel Wentworth for four years. (the only available program for girls at that time).
● Outstanding markswoman and culminated this experience in Denver on April 26, 1947, when won 5th place in the National Rifle Association Meet (men and women).
Enrolled at Bowling Green College for a year (1947-48)...Returned to Colorado after one year at Bowling Green and enrolled at Colorado State College of Education (now U.N.C.)...Graduated with a teaching certificate and major in PE in 1951...Continued her education at the University of Denver and the University of Colorado.
Went out for varsity baseball and played first base in the men's sport against Purdue University in 1948.
● Upon graduation from Centennial High School in 1947 Hulsey played women's softball in the Pueblo softball program for several years with Podettes.
● Pitcher for the Podettes and won repeated honors in the 1940's and 50's.
● Pitched many no-hit games and was the pitcher on state championship teams in 1948, 1950 and 1952.
● On September 6, 1952, she was picked up the Denver Kings Soopers and she pitched in the International Women's Softball Tournament in Toronto, Canada.
"Ruth has shown outstanding physical ability in tennis, golf, running, swimming, basketball, and softball. She is truly an outstanding athlete and competitor. Hulsey was a pioneer in pushing for more competitive activities in the high schools for girls. She has watched and participated in the program that has shown remarkable progress. This is a champion in every sense of the word.
-- Brian Macartney
● Served an CHSAA committees for at least three girls sports as they became an accepted part of the program.
● Active in the Frist Baptist Church School program.
● Member of Christian Business Women's Organization.
● Member of the Pueblo West Golf Club.
● Taught and coached in Denver Public Schools as well as District 60.
● Taught and coached at Centennial High School for eight years before to going to Pueblo East H.S.
● Swimming instructor and girls swim coach at Pueblo East H.S.
Lived in Pueblo... She passed away on Nov. 4, 2021.