Year Inducted: 2013
Nominated By: Irene Elgart
Sports Competed In: Basketball
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete
Attended Pueblo Centennial H.S... Two-star athelete (Basketball and track)...Tallest basketball player in Centennial history at 7'2 3/8"...As a sophomore was the starting center, averaging 11.0.ppg...During his junior season, Smith led the Bulldogs to the SCL championship and the State title game against Denver Manual...In his senior season, Smith averaged 25.0 ppg and led his team to a second Conference Championship and the State Title game against Denver Thomas Jefferson, falling 71-68...To this date, Smith is the ONLY pueblo basketball player named to the "McDonald's All-American Team"... Lettered in track for the Bulldogs and set a high-jump record of 6’ ¼” that stood until it was broken by his younger brother, John.
● Named to the All-Tournament (state), All-City, All-South Central League, All-State team for his basketball prowess.
● Led the Bulldogs to two conference chanpionships and two state title games during his junior and season seasons.
● Named All-Tourney, All-State, All-Conference and All-City teams.
● Selected as The Pueblo Chieftain - "Player-of-the-Year" and the National High School "McDonald's All-American Team".
● Finished his career with 1,068 points, a single season Bulldog record 379 points and a single game record of 38 pts. against Pueblo East High School.
Attended Colorado University two years (1968-69) playing basketball (center)...Was a starter as a sophomore on team that won league championship... Transferred to Wichita State.. Sat out first season due to transfer rules.. His 1970-71 stint with the Shockers was cut short when he broke his arm and encountered knee problems mid-way through the season.
Lives in Colorado Springs, CO.