Year Inducted: 1985
Nominated By: John Vidic
Sports Competed In: Softball
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach, Contributor
Junior High School:
Started playing softball as catcher for the 1944 Thatcher School boy's team after gym teacher, Grace Yoder, encouraged a try out...Played on first organized team: Pueblo Rollerland at field at 11th and Santa Fe in 1945.
Attended at Pueblo Centennial and graduated in 1949...Participated in basketball, volleyball and softball.
● Played 1st base on the 1946 Centennial freshmen boy's baseball team coached by Fred Smith.
● Member of 1948-49 Centennial Girl's Athletic Club, Ethel Wentworth sponsor.
Attended Colorado State College (UNC) in 1953...Continued her education at UNC - Masters degree - Western State Type D Certificate (1980).
Awarded "Outstanding Athlete Award" from Colorado State College (UNC).
● Played in the 1949 National Tournament in Portland, Oregon with Tivoli Brewers from Denver.
● Played in 1950 with Capitol Chevrolet from Denver in National Tournament in San Antonio, Texas. Made the Semi-finals.
● Voted the outstanding softball player in Colorado by Balls and Strikes, the official newspaper of the Amateur Softball Association in 1950.
● Only player in Colorado so-mentioned by the poll.
● Played in the 1952 National Tournament in Toronto, Canada with King Soopers from Denver.
● Named to the 1953 All-American team following play in the National Tournament in Portland, Oregon with Salt Lake City Shamrocks, placing runner-up.
● Played Softball eight years (1945-53) with Amateur Softball Association.
● Played seven seasons (1946-53) with the "PODETTES" of Pueblo Army Depot as catcher.
● Played Semi-Pro softball in 1954-55 with Salt Lake City Shamrocks.
● Took up recreational softball, playing with Dale Rice in Parks and Recreation League for three years (1976-79), those teams won 1st place three consecutive years.
Numerous city league championships in 1940’s and 1950’s and State Championships in 1948, 1949 and 1952. Mother, Catherine Whitmore, managed the PODETTES for four years while the Depot was under the command of Colonel Charles Keck. "PODETTES" coaches included Jack Steinfeldt, Nate Crombe, Sam Corsentino, Ivan Miller, Jim Sanford, Danny Milusnic and Urie Potter. Denver coach and friend, was Andy Hale. Salt Lake Coach was Dick Ball...
● Coached 14 and 16 year old girls for three years in the Parks and Recreation League (1974-77).
● Also assisted two years with her son's Old Timer's team.
● President of the 1978-79 Women's Recreation League.
● Spent five years (1975-80) officiating high school and college volleyball including two state tournaments.
● Coached women's slow pitch team in 1980.
● Former teacher at Holy Family Church.
● Member of the 1979-80 Professional Council Task Force on Reduction in Force in District #60.
● Member of the 1980 Search and Screen Committee of University of Southern Colorado for Director of Admissions.
● Member of the 1981 Colorado High School - College Relations Council.
● Member of the 1983-84 District 60 Vocational Advisory Council.
● Past secretary of the Pueblo Association of School Personnel.
Teacher and Dean of Students - School District #60.
Lives in Pueblo with her husband Dick...Passed away on April 9, 2021.