Year Inducted: 2018
Nominated By: Susan Zaremba (wife)
Sports Competed In: Golf
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach
Attended Mitchell High School in Colorado Springs and graduated from there in 1972. Mike was a stellar athlete in football, basketball and golf.
Attended Southern Colorado State College (which is now known as Colorado State University-Pueblo)...His talents helped the Indians men's golf team win numerous titles during his four years as well as All-American honors for himself. He was widely know as one of the most talented amateurs in Colorado golf before continuing his career as a professional.
Zaremba turned professional in 1976. Below is where he worked as a pro.
● 1976-80: Hollydot Golf Course Head Pro.
● 1980-91: Pueblo West Golf Course Head Pro.
● 1991-2008 Walking Stick Head Pro.
● 2008-Present - Desert Hawk Golf Course Head Pro.
● Denver Golf Classic Champion (1982).
● Runner Up Colorado PGA Section Championship (1982).
● Runner Up Nebraska Open (1984).
● National PGA Club Professional Qualifier (1987).
● National PGA Club Professional Qualifier (1988).
● Denver Open Champion (1989).
● Runner Up Denver Classic (1990).
● National PGA Club Professional Qualifier (1995).
● Colorado Open Champion (1995).
● New Mexico Open Champion (1996).
● US Open Championship Local Qualifying Medalist (1999).
● Colorado Club Professional Champion (1999).
● Two-time Colorado Section PGA Player of the Year (1983, 1999).
● Colorado PGA Section Champion (1987, 1999).
● Kapalua Clambake Professional Champion (2003).
● US Senior Open Sectional Qualifying Medalist (2004).
● US Senior Open Qualifier-Bellerive (2004).
● Two-time Colorado PGA Section Senior Player of the Year (2004, 2005).
● Senior PGA Championship Qualifier-Laurel Valley (2005).
● National PGA Club Professional Qualifier (2005).
● Colorado PGA Senior Section Champion (2005).
● National PGA Senior Club Professional Qualifier (2005).
● Rocky Mountain Senior Open Champion (2005).
● Puerto Vallarta Pro Am Champion (2005).
● Colorado Open Senior Champion (2005).
● Senior PGA Championship Qualifier- Oaktree (2006).
● US Senior Open Qualifier-Prairie Dunes (2006).
● Senior Colorado Cup Match Team Captain (2006).
● Senior Stroke Play Champion - PGA Winter Championship Series (2009).
● Senior Junior Team Champions - PGA Winter Championship Series (2009).
● Colorado Section PGA Pro Champion (2009).
● Senior PGA Championship Qualifier - Colorado Golf Club (2010).
● US Senior Open Qualifier - Hershey CC (2011).
● National PGA Senior Club Professional Qualifier (2012).
● Inducted as an individual into the Colorado State University-Pueblo Athletic Hall of Fame (2012).
● Senior PGA Championship Qualifier - Laurel Valley (2015).
● Inducted as golf team team member (1972-1973) into the Colorado State University-Pueblo Athletic Hall of Fame (2016).
● Puerto Vallarta Pro Am Senior Champion (2016).
● Puerto Vallarta Pro Am Senior Champion (2017).
● Six-time team member of the Colorado Cup Team (1984, 1985, 1988, 1994, 1999, 2005).
● Colorado Open (1995) and Colorado Senior Open winner (2005): one of only two players in the state to have won both championships as PGA Professionals (Mike Zaremba and Bill Loeffler).
Career Holes in one: 12
Zaremba set course records on: Shadow Hills, Walking Stick, Holly Dot, Cozumel CC Mexico...Lowest competitive round occured at the 1989 Denver Open played at Wellshire where he shot a 62.
Zaremba's efforts to organize and rally support in the form of fund raising events and donations from the golf community in and around Pueblo are the main reason the University was able to reinstate men's golf in 1988. Once reinstated, Mike took over as golf coach in 1988 and not only rebuilt the program but led it to four conference titles from 1990 through 1995 qualifying for several regional and national events.
● Head Coach of the University of Southern Colorado Golf Team (1988-96).
● Twice named RMAC "Coach of the Year".
Mike is a member of the PGA of America and is a class A-4 golf professional. He is currently the Director of Golf at Desert Hawk golf course in Pueblo West. Zaremba has coached golf at the collegiate level from 1988-1996. He is currently heads up the PGA Junior golf program at Desert Hawk. The first year he coached 35 juniors and the program now in it's 3rd year, has 60 junior golfers in the program The PGA junior league is highly successful in building and instructing the future golfers. Mike recently received the PGA Reach Colorado Award for recognition in his youth development. He has received a $500 grant to further his professional development in teaching.
Mike was born in Great Falls, MT...He has been a residence of Pueblo for close to 40 years... He lives in Pueblo West, CO with his wife Susan.