Year Inducted: 2022
Nominated By: Megan Storm and Kendra Case (daughters)
Sports Competed In: Baseball, Football
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach, Contributor
Attended Pueblo Roncalli H.S., graduating in 1971.
● Played four years of football (quarterback, defensive back and tailback) and basketball (guard) for the Shamrocks.
● Played three seasons of baseball (third base and centerfield) and ran track (880 yd dash and the mile) for one season.
● Member of the Baseball American Legion State Champs (1970).
● Baseball Colorado High School State Champs. Batting Average .278. (1971).
● Earned All-City Team; All-SCL Team; All-State Tourney Team (1971).
● Senior year in football, ends up third in rushing in the southern league; 108 ATT, 439 yards, 4.1 average, 5 TD. (1971).
● Earned All-City honors (1971).
Drafted by the Cincinnati Red of Major League Baseball upon graduating from high school.
● Coached football, baseball and golf at Pueblo County...No records kept on wins/losses.
● Coached baseball under Joe Andenucio. They had some success, playing in one regional tourney game.
● Volunteered to help coach, Don Egan, with the Hornets boys and girls golf teams.
● City Football Champions (1965)
● City Tournament Champions - basketball (1971).
● Players Coached: Nino Giarratano, Jeff Kurtz, Jerry Sisneros, Rich Pike, Rich Purcell.
● Won the senior flight championship in golf at Elmwood (2003).
● Recorded five hole-in-one's playing golf.
● Plays golf in the summer, works basketball in the winter and as a softball umpire in the Summer and Fall.
● Basketball rules interpreter CHSAA.
● Instructor for veteran and new basketball officials.
● International Association of Approved Basketball Officials (IAABO); 20 years - present.
● Served on the Board of Directors at Runyon Field for 12 years (2009-22) - appointed by the County Commissioners.
● Served on the Board of Directors Pueblo Rural Fire District for 23 years (elected); 1994-2017.
● Committee Member Pueblo Italian Golf Tournament (scholarship to CSU-Pueblo for athletics); 18+ years - present.
● CHSAA and USA Softball Certified Umpire (2016-present).
● Started officiating basketball in 2002.
● Worked the 2A boys championship game at CSU-Pueblo in 2010.
● Worked the 5A boys Final at CU (2012).
● Continues to work basketball games for CHSAA; worked Region IX junior college ball (2004-17).
"We did not win many football games, mostly lack of skilled players, but never lacking heart or effort."
-- Mike Marcovecchio
"Mike Marcovecchio is a humble man, who continually strives to make those he comes in contact with have a better experience, whether that be as an official or umpire, President of the Runyon Field Board, or doing maintenance on the Hollydot Golf Course".
-- Dave Dudley
"Mike Marcovecchio has devoted his adult life to athletics and Pueblo, CO. Through his coaching, playing, officiating and participating in service organizations have proven him a vital asset to the community and young kids in Pueblo".
-- David Styduhar
Life-long resident of Pueblo, CO... Married 49 years to Cindy Domenico.