Year Inducted: 2019
Nominated By: Jack Krupka
Sports Competed In: Basketball
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach, Contributor
Attended Pueblo Centennial High School from 1971-74...Played basketball for the Bulldogs.
After High School:
Michael did an internship in the late 1970's with the Pueblo Parks and Recreation Department... He worked with Jack Krupka organizing men's softball, basketball and flag football leagues...During that time, with softball at its peak, the duo had to work with 100 teams on five fields...After internship, Sexton became the Direrctor of the Parks and Recreation Department for the city of La Junta, CO...Returned to Pueblo to accept the position of assistant director of the Parks and Recreation Department.
● Sexton coached basketball at the following:
● Pueblo East High School (five years): Assistant Coach (1980-85).
● La Junta High School (10 years): Assistant Coach (1986-95).
● Otero Junior College (one year): Assistant Coach (1996-97).
● Pueblo Centennial High School (five years): Assistant Coach (1999-2003).
● Pueblo Centennial High School (four years): Head Coach (1980-85).
● Founding Committee Member of the Pueblo Softball Hall of Fame (2008 - Present).
● Denver Nuggets Basketball Skills Challenge Local/Regional Director (2006-Present).
● Special Olympics Regional Sports Coordinator for Area 7 (1985-Present).
● Certified Training Instructor for Youth Coaching for the American Coaching Effectiveness Program (1985-90).
● Denver Broncos Regional Punt Pass and Kick Committee Member and Regional Director (1986-2017).
● Colorado Association Recreational Athletics State Basketball Chairman (1993-95).
● Certified Youth Coaching Instructor for the National Youth Sports Coaches Association (1995-2010).
● National Recreation and Parks Association Midwest Regional Representative (2001-04).
● Colorado Association Recreational Athletics State Basketball Chairman (2002-03).
● Colorado Parks and Recreation Executive Board Secretary (2012-14).
● Colorado Parks and Recreation Association Executive Board At-Large Member (2014-16).
● Colorado Parks and Recreation Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (1983-Present).
● Colorado Parks and Recreation Association Member (1986-Present).
● International Association of Approved Basketball Officials (2003-Present).
● Infinity Colorado High School Activities Association Permanent Registered Coach (2004-Present).
Michael has been a life-long resident of Pueblo (over 60 years) and is married to his wife, Karen.