Year Inducted: 2021 (p)
Nominated By: Wayne Pechek
Sports Competed In: Boxing
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete
● Posted a record of 94 wins and 4 losses as an amateur boxer.
● Went on to Professional Boxing winning the Welterweight Championship of the World on Feb. 1, 1946, knocking Freddie (Red) Cochrane in the 4th round.
● Continued boxing achieving a record of 47 wins, 4 loses, and 2 draws.
● Of his four loses, he lost two close decisions to Legendary Sugar (Ray) Robinson, one a split decision and one loss stepping up to fight the legendary Rocky Graziano in a Middleweight non-title match for a large purse.
● The fight with Graziano effectively finished his career as a boxer as his nose was so severely injured that he had trouble breathing.
● Moved to Pueblo and worked part-time as a trainer for a boxing team in Buena Vista, CO.
● Worked at the Colorado Fuel and Iron (CF&I) and learned he had cancer when a spinal condition affected his legs that caused him to collapse.
Donated countless hours. and days to young kids, working boxing benefits and charities in Pueblo, Denver, Schenectady, NY, and across the country.
● Inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame (1989).
● Inducted into the Capital District Hall of Fame (2003).
● Inducted into the Schenectady (NY) School District Hall of Fame (2005).
Marty was born in Schenectady, NY, on Nov. 3, 1919… Lived for 22 years in Pueblo (1947-69) … Married Carol Piserchio… Passed away on Feb. 8, 1969.