Year Inducted: 2001
Nominated By: G. Owen Smith (father)
Sports Competed In: Basketball, Football
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach, Contributor
Attended Pueblo Central H.S., graduating in 1961... Played three years of tennis (1959-61) and two years each of basketball as a guard (1960-61) and track in the distance events (1959-60) for the Wildcats.
Went to Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, where he graduated in 1965.
High School - Basketball (Guard):
● Earned First Team South-Central League (1961).
● Finished third in Scoring in the South-Central League (1961).
● Selected to South Team for North-South All-State Game (1961).
● Selected for the Paul K. Boyer Award for outstanding basketball player in Pueblo (1961).
● Selected as the Outstanding Athlete (1961).
High School - Tennis (#2 Singles):
● Two-time first team South-Central League (1960-61).
● Two-time Qualifier for State (1960-61).
High School - Track (Distance):
● Qualified for State 800 meters (1960) and finished third at League Qualifying Meet.
● Best Time was 2:00.6, and best finish was 10th at State Meet.
Basketball: Head Coach at Boulder H.S. for 11 years (1971-82).
● Record: 182-58 (.758).
● 3A State Champions (1977, 1979).
● 3A State Runner-up (1980).
● Basketball: Head Coach at Ponderosa H.S. for five seasons (1982-87).
● Basketball: Head Coach at Highlands Ranch H.S. for six years (1990-96).
● Ponderosa and Highland Ranch H.S. combined records: 101-85 (.543).
● Girls Cross Country: Head Coach at Highlands Ranch H.S. which captured the 5A State Championship in 1992.
Worked as a a teacher, coach, administrator at the high school level...Spent four years as the the Athletic Director at Highlands Ranch H.S. (1992-96).
Lives in Walsenburg, CO with his wife, Laura.