Year Inducted: 1986
Nominated By: Joe Garcia (colleague/friend)
Sports Competed In: Track
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Coach
Attended La Junta H.S., in La Junta, CO, graduating 1959.
● Three-sport standout, earning four letters in Track and three each in football and basketball.
● On the gridiron, he was selected to the All-Conference team and Second Team All-State in 1958 while playing his senior season in the All-State game (1959).
● On the basketball court, he earned an All-Conference in 1959.
● Three-time state qualifier on the Tigers track team and finished 4th in State Long Jump and High Hurdles in 1959.
Went Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, CO and was participant on the Rams track team for a season before transferring to Western State College (WSC) in Gunnison, CO and was a member of the Mountaineers track squad in 1963...Graduated fro WSC in 1964...Continued his post-graduate studies at WSC, earning Masters Degree in 1968.
● Six-time State Long Jump Champion (1980, 81, 83, 84, 85, 86).
● Five-time Rocky Mountain Triple Jump Champion (1980, 81, 82, 83, 84).
● Mid-American Triple Jump Champion (1981).
● State Javelin Champion (1981).
● State High Hurdle Champion (1984).
Crowley County H.S.:
● Hired to be the head coach in track and an assistant coach in football and basketball (1964-66).
Keating Junior H.S.:
● Head Track (1966-67).
Corwin Junior H.S.:
● Head Track and Assistant Basketball(1967-68)
● Head Football (1968-81).
Pueblo East H.S.:
● Assistant Football (1968-81).
● Assistant Basketball (since 1985).
● Head Track (since 1968): Coached 87 State Qualifiers - one State Champion and four State Runner ups.
● Member of the Colorado High School Coaches Association (CHSCA). Served in various capacities: Board of Directors member (1976-82); Secretary (1975); President (1976).
● Officiated at three Olympic Festivals (1978, 1979, 1983).
● Worked the National Explorer Olympics, USAFA Easter Races and National Sports Festival.
● Worked the National Master's Decathlon and Pentathlon and was a candidate to officiate the 1987 Pan American Games.
Teacher and coach at Pueblo East H.S.
Lived in Pueblo with his wife, Vera... He passed away on November 30, 2005, losing his battle with cancer.