Year Inducted: 2023
Nominated By: Pat Laughlin
Sports Competed In: Baseball, Football, Track
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach
A 1969 graduate of Morristown High School, in Morristown NJ...Played baseball, football and track.
Attended Southern Colorado State College (SCSC) where he was a sprinter on the track team (three years) and running back on the Indians football team (two years).
● Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) Champions 4x440 relay (1973).
● Head Boys Track Coach at Central High School (1982-1987).
● City Champions, Regional Champions, Centennial Invitational Champions, Hornet Invitational Champions (1984).
● Qualified 19 Individuals for State.
● Coached State Champion (Charles Puga) to shot put title in 1985.
● Coached 30 All-State athletes during his career.
● Head Football Coach at Central High School (1984-1993).
● Runner up in South-Central League (S-CL) with a 7-3 record; Qualified for State Playoffs (1987).
● Co-S-CL League Champions (7-3 record); Qualified for State Playoffs (1988).
● Three-time winner of the Bell Game (1985, 1988, 1990).
● Established the "Ray Brunjack" 110% Award: The Scholarship is given to a Senior Football Player voted by the coaches. The Scholarship goes toward college expenses.
● Chosen as High School Administrator "Hero-of-the-Week" for outstanding leadership contributions to your school and community, excelling in activities around athletics, speech, and leadership in the classroom.
● S-CL Representative for the state playoff seeding in football.
● Member of Central Foundation.
● Speaker of S-CL Fundamentals of "Trap Play".
● Keynote Speaker Central Athletic Banquet.
● Named "Colorado Athletic-Director-of-the-Week" by 850 KRDO Radio Denver Bronco and the Colorado High School Activities Association.
● Came out of retirement to continue to support and shine a light on the youth of the Pueblo community by contributing to Roncalli STEM Academy (2013-2020) and Risley International Academy of Innovation (2020-current).
● Consultant to Behavior Intervention (2013-present).
● Assistant Principal/Athletic Director East High School (2007-08).
● Assistant Principal/Athletic Director Central High School (1998-2007).
● Assistant Principal/Athletic Director East High School (1995-1998).
● Physical Education and Health Teacher Central High School (1974-1994).
John has lived in Pueblo for 56 years with his wife Cindy.