Year Inducted: 2004
Nominated By: Dennis Cunico (brother)
Sports Competed In: Football, Track, Wrestling
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete
Attended Pueblo Central, graduating in 1962... Was an eight sport letterman for the Wildcats... Competed in football (linebacker/guard) and wrestling (165 lbs) for three years from 1960-62...Competed for two seasons (1960-61) on the baseball team, playing outfield and one year in track as a pole vaulter (1962).
High School Achievements:
● Captain of 1962 State Championship Football Team that beat Lakewood 34-0 in Championship game.
● Co-Captain of the All Star Football game in 1962.
● Earned all-State honors in football.
● Teammates voted Cunico outstanding player on AAA Championship team.
● Earned Honorable mention High School all-American.
● As a wrestler for Central, won one match at State Tournament.
● Compiled a 16-1 wrestling record as a senior.
● Beat two-time Heavyweight State Champion (Centennial) Richard Redd 1-0 his senior year, giving Redd his only loss [one of 4 losses] in two years.
● Awarded outstanding wrestler at Central, also outstanding athlete over a three year period.
● Winner of the 1962 Marie C. Rivas Award for outstanding wrestler.
After High School:
Played for Wayne's Caravan in flag football where they were City Champions and also State Contenders...He also played slow pitch for Hedrich Landrum where they competed at the National Tournament in Chicago.
Cunico is an avid golfer, recording three hole in ones in his career.
Lives in Pueblo with his wife, Jerrie Ann (Ellis) Cunico.