Year Inducted: 1979
Nominated By: Harry Simmons
Sports Competed In: Cross Country, Track
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach, Contributor
Went to Manhattan, Kansas, H.S., graduated in 1941.
● Four-year letterman on both the football and track teams (1938-41).
● Selected All-State in football (1940-41).
Went to Trinidad Junior College (TJC)...Transferred to Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas (graduated in 1949)...Worked on his Masters Degree at Kansas State University (graduated in 1954).
● Played football two years (1941-43) and track one season (1942).
● Two-time All-Conference selection in both football and track.
● His coach at TJC was Harry Simmons.
● Spent five years (1949-54) as an all-sports coach at Clifton, Kansas H.S. and two years (1954-56) at Chapman, Kansas Community H.S.
● Worked for 28 years (1956-84) as an all-sports coach at Pueblo Junior College (PJC).
● Also served for five season (1959-63) as track coach at PJC.
● Named track coach at Southern Colorado State College (SCSC).
● At the NAIA National meet, the 440-relay team finished 5th in the nation (1965).
● During the 1966 season, the mile relay finished 6th and the team finished 22nd...Gene Morenz was 5th in 880.
● At the first NCAA College Division meet in 1967, the team placed 7th in the Nation...John Martinez won the mile and mile-relay team won.
● Coached the cross country team at University of Southern Colorado (USC)... Team scored 5th in nation.
Notable Athletes Coached:
● John Martinez finished 3rd in the mile to become SCSC's 1st All American.
● Members were Clayton Gail, John Martinez, Gene Morenz & Isaac Barnes...All were named to the All-American Team.
Teacher, coach and Assistant Athletic Director - PJC, SCSC, and USC.
Lived in Pueblo with his wife, Frances, Boles... Passed away on January 13, 2007.