Year Inducted: 1995
Nominated By: Joe Morenz (brother)
Sports Competed In: Cross Country
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Coach
Attended Southern Colorado State College... Ran indoor and outdoor track for four seasons (1963-67) mainly in the 880 yd event.
● Still owns the school record in the 880 yard run (1:52) which still stands as of 1995.
● Member of the NCAA Championship mile relay team and named All-American Track and Field in 1967.
● Head coach at Pueblo South H.S., for the cross country teams (boys - 25 years and girls 19 years).
● Also spent 14 seasons (1969-83) as the Colts track and field head coach.
● Coached the Boys Track & Field team to 13 consecutive City Championships at South and numerous Cross Country City Championships.
● Three-time South Central League "Coach-of-the-Year" (1973, 1987, 1988).
● Boettcher Foundation-Teacher Recognition Award (1992).
● American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) Century Club (100 wins in 1992).
● Greater Pueblo Sports Hall of Fame (1995).
● Presented the 30 year Coaching Award by the ABCA (1997).
● Colorado High School Coaches Association (CHSCA) Baseball "Coach-of-the-Year" Award (1997).
● ABCA District VII National Regional "Coach-of-the-Year" Award (1997).
● Centennial High School Athletic Hall of Fame Award (2002).
● Started the first running program for the Pueblo Parks and Recreation Department and served as its Summer Running Director.
"The greatest gift that I received from Gene Morenz is his supportive words that gave me the determination and focus to be the athlete that I have become.”
-- Chris Borton (two time State Cross Country Champion from South High School)
"I am grateful to be honored. For whatever little part I might have played in an athlete's life, or for those accomplishments that I consider special to just me, I am thankful that I’m being recognized.”
-- Gene Morenz
Teacher and coach in School District #60 at South High School.