Year Inducted: 2012
Nominated By: Dennis Cunico
Sports Competed In: Basketball, Football Track
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete
Junior High School:
Attended Keating Jr. High...Earned one-year varsity letters in football in 1960 (Fullback/Safety/Place Kicker) and basketball (center). Lettered in track and field in 1962... Won the Junior High City Team Championship in 1961, contributing first, second, or third place points in Pole Vault, High and Low Hurdles and the 4x220 Relay.
Attended Pueblo Central H.S...Three year letterwinner playing football for the Wildcats as a backup offensive fullback and tight end positions, defensive end position, while being the first string placekicker...Caused the game changing fumble in the State semi-final football game against Longmont and kicked the game winning extra point in that game (a 7-6 victory)...Co-Captain of the 1964 Wildcat football team...Lettered three years playing varsity basketball...Helped team to a 100 points game against Pueblo South in 1964 (100-85)...Also lettered three years in track and field (Pole Vault/Hurdles/Sprints/Relays/Shot Put/Discus).
● Played on the 1961 State Championship football team as a sophomore.
● Selected to The Denver Post State High School football team and played in the North/South All-Star Football game (1964).
● Member of the Wildcats basketball team that won the Conference Championship and finished second in the State Basketball tournament (1964).
● Set the City pole vault record in 1964 with a jump of 13' 10", a record stood for more than 10 years.
● Placed second at the State Track and Field Championships in the pole vault (1964).
● Selected as Central High School "Outstanding Athlete" as a nine-time varsity letterman (1964).
Attended the Colorado School of Mines (CSM)... Graduated with a degree in Metallurgical Engineering (1969)...Two year varsity letterman (1964-65) on the Orediggers football (Defensive End/ Line Backer/Tight End)...Four-year varsity letterman in both indoor (1964-1968) and outdoor (1965-1969) track and field...Participated in the pole vault and javelin during the outdoor season.
● Selected as the CSM outstanding Freshman Athlete (1965-66)
● Ranked sixth Nationally in the NAIA College Indoor Pole Vault Standings (1968).
Achieved the rank of Eagle Scout in 1961...Member of Centrals Key Club (1963-64)...Member of the 1964 National Athletic Scholarship Society and graduated academically in the Top 25 of the Class of 1964.
● Gehlhoff is an active golfer with a 4 handicap.
● He is a volunteer instructor with the 1st Tee Program in Jackson, TN.
● Active with Youth Mentoring Program and part of a team that cleans up and repairs homes for the elderly.
Lives in Jackson, TN with his wife Ann...Gary is a choir member for Hand Bell Choir, a member of his church repair team as well as a Special Church Education Team Member.