Year Inducted: 1996
Nominated By: Jan F. Smith
Sports Competed In: Baseball, Basketball
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach
Attended Pueblo Central H.S., graduating in 1971...Played three seasons (1969-71) each for the Wildcats as a forward in basketball and a catcher on the baseball team.
● Helped the basketball team to a 3rd place finish at the state tournament in 1971.
● All-City and All-League catcher for the Wildcats.
Went to Lamar Community Junior College (LCJC) and graduated in 1973...Spent two years (1971-73) playing for both the basketball team (forward) and baseball team (pitcher/catcher/1st Base)...Transferred to Phillips University and graduated in 1975.. Played one year (1973-74) of basketball as a forward.. Played two seasons of baseball as a pitcher/catcher/1st Base (1973-75)...NAIA Regional Baseball Tournament MVP and NAIA American in 1975... Had a career collegiate batting average of .362.
● Spent the first four years after college as the head basketball and track coach at Beulah Middle School (1975-79).
● Moved on to Pueblo County H.S. where he spent the next 11 years coaching several sports: Volleyball (1979-80); Freshman basketball (1979-83); JV basketball coach (1984-89).
● Head basketball coach (1990-96) and JV baseball coach (1980-90).
● Head baseball coach for four summers with the Legion B out of Central H.S. (1974-78) and six years with Pueblo Elks (1980-86).
● Also coached the Pueblo Collegians baseball club for two years (1989-90).
● Coached youth baseball at Runyon Field.
"If Dave knew we were doing this (nomination) he would say ‘THERE IS NO REASON'. But there is indeed!"
--Don Maldonado (Father of a boy who played for Dudley):
Teacher and coach - School District #70
Lives in Pueblo with his wife, Margery Dudley.