Year Inducted: 1986
Nominated By: Jim Lane
Sports Competed In: Basketball, Football
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Coach
Attended Pocahontas H.S., in Pocahontas, Iowa, graduating in 1935.
● Earned 11 varsity letters playing football (End/HB/FB), Basketball (guard), track (100 yd. dash/polevault) and baseball (3rd base).
● Sports career was ended when he suffered ligament damage.
● Started his coaching career at Pueblo Catholic H.S., directing the boys basketball team for six seasons (1942-47).
● Served as the football and basketball coach at St. Francis Grade School for two years (1958-60).
● Named basketball coach at St. Patrick's for nine seasons (1951-60), where his teams won championships in eight of nine years.
● Also was the football coach at St. Patrick's during from 1960-70 and led the gridiron squad to three championships and six runner-up finishes.
● Also coached at for two years (1971-72) at St. Therese and at Heaton Middle School in 1980.
● Posted a career record of 56-4.
● Finished coaching career as as the girls basketball coach at Our Lady of the Meadows Catholic Church in 1983.
As "Fitz" would say "This has been a labor of love of good sports and not reimbursement." Fitz received no enumeration other than the opportunity to teach Pueblo Youth the fundamentals of good sports.
Lived in Pueblo with his wife, Ann. Passed away, February 12, 1987.