Year Inducted: 1985
Nominated By: Nancy Foster (daughter)
Sports Competed In: Football, Track
Athlete, Coach or Contributor: Athlete, Coach, Contributor
Attended Pueblo Centennial H.S., graduating in 1927.
Two year member of the Bulldogs football team (1925-26) and the track squad (1925-27) as a hurdler where he set school records.
Went Colorado State College of Education (University of Northern Colorado) for two years 1939-1940, graduating in 1940.
● Freshman Coach: Pueblo Centennial H.S. (1936)
● Freshman Coach: Pueblo Central H.S. (1937-38)
● Asst. Coach: Pueblo Centennial H.S. (1937)
● Asst. Coach: Pueblo Central H.S. (1938-39)
● City Director: Greeley, CO (1939-40)
● Head of Intramurals: Greeley, CO (1939-40)
Returned to Pueblo in 1940
● Worked for four years at Hindsdale Elementary School (1940-44).
● Taught physical education while coaching basketball, softball and track.
● Coached in the junior high league for one season.
Moved to Craig, Colorado (1944)
● Coached football, basketball and track (1944)
● Coached Two Years at Steamboat Springs, CO (1946-47): Won the Yampa Valley League Championship basketball (1946) and track (1947)
Returned to Pueblo
● Coached the first Football Team at Lakeside-Vineland H.S.
● Also coached basketball and baseball,
● Elected President of the Pueblo Board of Realtors in 1965.
● Awarded the "Realtor-of-the-Year" Trophy and the Fank Holloran Exchanger of the Year Plaque (1967).
● Served a three year term as a director on the Colorado Board of Realtors.
● Worked for 20 years as a member of the Advisory Board of the Salvation Army.
● Past volunteer driver for the “Meals on Wheels” Program.
Basketball official who worked approximately 900 total games - three game per night, five nights a week.
Teacher and coach, Youth Director and owner of Watkins Real Estate.
Lived in Pueblo, CO with his wife, Wilma J., who died in 1992...Watkins passed away on November 2, 2001 at age 93.